Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 16 May 2013

Review: Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins

Author: Wendy Higgins
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 371 pages, Paperback
Date Published: April 30th 2013
Find it on Goodreads: Sweet Peril
Source: Purchased

Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 
Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.
When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?


This enthralling and addictive sequel to one of my favourite books of 2012 did not disappoint. It was intense and consuming....I read it in one sitting and am dying for the finale to this incredible series.

As you may or may not know, Sweet Evil was one of my absolute favourite books of last year. I've read it three times now and can't get enough. So, obviously, Sweet Peril was on the top of my list for most-anticipated reads of 2013. And you know that fear you get, before going into a sequel, that it's going to be disappointing? I didn't really have that with this book. I mean, a little bit, sure. But I trusted Higgins enough in her writing style and her unique story that she would execute the sequel in a way that not only met my expectations, but exceeded. I'm happy to say that I was right.

I adore the lore in this series. The angel/demon/Nephilim idea usually kind of bores me, because I find it all to be the same, but something about this makes me love it. I think it's the idea of the sins and the Neph influencing other teens to commit sins. It's all super interesting and even the 'politics' of the Dukes and Neph is compelling. We meet more Nephilim in Sweet Peril and learn a lot more about the Dukes and how they work, what they do, etc. It's all very intriguing and I can't wait to learn even more in Sweet Reckoning.

As for the characters, Anna and Kai did not fail to impress me. Anna is a great protagonist. She's strong but humble, sweet but also knows what to do to protect herself and her friends/family. Then we have Kaidan. He is alluring as ever, as well as extremely protective. The two are separated for the majority of the book, but when they are together.... whew. And then we have Kopano. The only thing I was a bit disappointed with in this book was the fact that the love triangle that was hinted at in Sweet Evil was expanded upon in its sequel. I like Kope, he just isn't who I want Anna to end up with.Thankfully, the triangle wasn't too intense, so it's not a major issue.

I loved, loved, loved Sweet Peril and am dying to read Sweet Reckoning!!! It's going to be a long wait!

Happy reading!
~Kristy

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you definitely had major high hopes for this one! I'm glad you still loved it, if only slightly less than you hoped. I can't wait to read it myself. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read Sweet Evil. I really have no reason for not reading it as I've owned a copy well over a year now. I suppose I should get on that eventually. Great review though.


    Kristin@Blood,Sweat and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I absolutely can't wait till the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...