Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Monday 27 May 2013

Review: Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Author: Holly Smale
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Publishing
Page Count: 378 pages, paperback
Date Published: February 28th 2013
Find it on Goodreads:  Geek Girl
Source: Purchased

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. 
She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 
As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 
And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?



Geek Girl was a really cute book about accepting yourself for who you are and learning that even the smallest of lies can turn into a huge mess. A light read that I enjoyed a lot!

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this book is set in England! It's kind of rare to find a YA contemporary set anywhere other than the USA, so it was a nice change of scenery. The slang and some of the vocabulary was different from what I am used to and I loved it! I also really liked Harriet. She was an uber smart teenager, tired of everyone hating her for no reason other than the fact that she's smart. So, she becomes a model. I will admit, I found this aspect to the book a bit outlandish, but who knows, maybe that's what really happens. I wouldn't know!

This book focuses a lot on lies and how when you tell too many, there will be consequences. It's a good lesson book but it's also a lot of fun. I think my favourite part of this book was the fact that I learned that cats have  32 muscles in each ear! SO RANDOM BUT SO COOL!!! I didn't mind most of the characters, but I did find Toby, Harriet's "stalker" to be a bit... odd. I suppose that's to be expected as he's a stalker, but it was outrageous how comfortable Harriet was with him just having a hiding spot in her yard or knowing what happens with her a minute after it happens. It was a little much, in my opinion, but entertaining none the less. That's what most of the book was for me. I felt it to be a bit too much at some times, with rushed scenes and  super prolonged scenes, but I still found it fun and cute. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the sequel!

.5

Happy reading!
~Kristy

2 comments:

  1. I loved Geek Girl, it's probably one of my favourite books. Shame you found it not as enjoyable. Great Review :D I also loved the random facts and the lesson that was included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a review of my own here : http://lucyandherblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/geek-girl.html I enjoyed it a bit more than you did and I gave it a 4.5 rating. I found out there is gonna be a sequel and out my personal opinion I would read it. Would you read the sequel?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...