Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Review: The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

Author: Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Count: 352, Hardcover
Date Published: May 21st 2013
Find it on Goodreads: The Book of Broken Hearts
Source: e-ARC provided by Publisher (thank you!!!)

When all signs point to heartbreak, can love still be a rule of the road? A poignant and romantic novel from the author ofBittersweet and Twenty Boy Summer.
Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.
Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?
Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?
Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking.


The Book of Broken Hearts fits its name well. It broke my heart and put it back together and I loved every part of it.

When it comes to Sarah Ockler, it only takes one book to know that her books aren't all sunshine and unicorn fluffy. There is a deeper part to her books and they are really touching. In this book, Jude, our MC, decides to restore her father's old motorcycle to try and see if it will help his Alzheimer's. She hires a mechanic and realises that he is Emilio Vargas, the youngest brother of the family she swore to her sisters she would never get involved with.

The thing with this book is, I'm kind of biased towards a few aspects of it. I am a huge sucker for motorcycles. My dad has one and I remember growing up with him working on it in the shop and me taking rides in the side-car on sunny days. I LOVE motorcycles. If I can convince my parents/when I turn 18, I definitely want to one day own one. So, with this book having a lot to do with motorcycles, it drew me in and kept me there. Also, I know someone with Alzheimer's and I know how tough it can be to see a loved one forgetting things so quickly and stuff like that.

The summary makes this book sound a lot more boy-related and a lot less than what it's really about. Yes, there's a boy and yes he's adorable and charming, but this book really focuses on family. There's a lot to do with Jude and her sisters and their relationship, as well as with her father. Her sisters kind of annoyed me at times, as they were kind of controlling of Jude, but I also understood, I guess. With Jude's Papi, it was different. I loved his sass and his attitude, but his meltdowns were quite sad and definitely broke my heart. That was one thing I loved about this book. It wasn't just about the broken hearts you get from the boy/girl who breaks your heart. It's about all the relationships and how they can all break your heart. Yes it's rough and yes it's painful, but maybe that broken heart will bring someone into your life to help mend it.

I really liked Jude as a protagonist. It took me about 50 pages to really enjoy her voice, but once I got into the book, I really connected with her. She's witty and sassy and totally awesome but also scared and emotional and it was nice to see two different sides of her. Then there was Emilio. At first I was kind of thinking he was another typical bad boy, ugh, but I realised, with Jude, that he was a lot more than that. He had many layers to him and wasn't as simple as I thought.

In all honesty, I cannot describe my love for this book enough. It was filled with the character's culture (Argentinian-American) and infused with emotion and humour. Yes, that's right, it was also funny, to put the cherry on top. Do not be fooled by the synopsis. The Book of Broken Hearts is touching and compelling and poignant. Yes it made me cry (just a little, I swear!) but it also made me laugh and that's my type of book. I highly recommend picking this book up.


Happy reading!
~Kristy

4 comments:

  1. A humorous book that makes me cry just a little - seems like a awesome read. Lovely Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been really wanting to read this. I love the cover - it's so pretty! Love your blog :) have you read Struck by Jennifer Bosworth? I have it but haven't read it yet, it is supposed to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read Struck! I can't seem to find in stores and always forget to order it online :/ I want to read it though! Thank you so much for the kind words! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm actually really happy that there is a focus on family. I like to see that in YA. So happy you love this! It's coming up soon on my schedule!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...