Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Page Count: 323 pages, International Paperback
Date Published: April 23rd 2013
Find it on Goodreads: The Elite
Source: Purchased

The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Timesbestseller The Selection.
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Iléa.
America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.
Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.




You know I'm either really excited or really frustrated when I start a review off with a gif.... First of all, I really liked this book. It was a good sequel and I enjoyed it. I just am so FRUSTRATED AND CONFUSED BY GIRLS. AND I'M ONE OF THEM.




So, I'm kind of conflicted. On one hand, I loved this book. I was swooning all over the Maxon parts, adoring him to bits and I really enjoyed the fact that the background of Ilea, the world The Elite is set in, was elaborated on. We learned more about the rebels, there was more interaction with them and there was a bit about the politics of the kingdom as well. The writing was good, nothing crazy stood out to me (good or bad), but I enjoyed it and that's something, right?

Okay, let's get onto the characters, shall we? First of all, we have America...



MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WOMAN. OH MY GOD. STOP PLAYING AROUND WITH BOTH OF THEIR HEARTS AND JUST BE FAITHFUL TO ONE OF THEM. STOP MESSING AROUND!!!!! I GET IT, YOU'RE CONFLICTED. IT'S A TOUGH CHOICE. BUT AHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGHHHHHHHHH



Okay, sorry about that. Let's back up a little,shall we? So America's at the palace, Maxon's ready to marry   her as soon as she says yes. He's in. But then she starts to hesitate a lot. WHY? Because of sir douche-a-lot himself, Aspen. Okay, okay, maybe that's a teensy bit harsh, but if I have to take out my frustration on one of them, it's gonna be him. Because he can just go. away. America starts seeing Aspen on the side, even though SHE KNOWS SHE COULD BE KILLED FOR THIS. One minute she's all over Maxon, totally ready to commit to him and then he glances at one of the other girls and BOOM HEARTBREAK ASPEN WHERE ARE YOU? I NEED TO COMMIT TREASON AND MAKE OUT WITH YOU BECAUSE I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND AND JUST TELL MAXON I'M READY TO MARRY HIM SO HE'S NOW GETTING FRUSTRATED AND IS SEEKING COMPANIONSHIP IN ONE OF THE OTHER GIRLS WHO ARE TOTALLY READY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM AND GET MARRIED AS SOON AS HE SAYS YES.


I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!! I just... Okay, personal note:  I don't understand girls. I just don't get why they do what they do to guys and I know I'm one of them and I probably will do something similar one day, maybe, but at this moment, they're just so frustrating.  Therefore, America frustrated me a LOT in this book. As did many of the other characters. There were some things that Maxon did that made me want to rip my hair out and there were other parts that were super predictable that had me peeved, but those things combined never made me not like the book. I still read it as soon as I got it, in about 4 hours it was done, etc. etc. I really liked it, a lot. And yet... Confliction.

I think it's the story in general. It's like a guilty pleasure... I can't help but love it. I adore Maxon and America is a good protagonist when she's not utterly confused and can't make up her mind. The whole Bachelor thing keeps me captivated and I can't wait to find out who will be THE ONE. I have theories in my mind of what will happen in the next book, but I just can't wait!

I'm sorry, I feel like this was a really odd review, mostly of me just yelling at the characters. But really, I did love this book and I can't wait for The One. It's gonna be great!

Happy reading!
~Kristy

1 comment:

  1. Oh, now I'm in two minds whether or not to read this :P Because I got a little miffed with America in the first book itself, towards the end when she starts showing affection for "both". That just shows how girls break hearts, which I don't support much because uh... why the girls every time? Anyway, I still liked The Selection and I love royalty related stories. So maybe I will. Thanks for the heads-up about more "ugh-she's-so-confused" part! :P

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...