Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Saturday 14 July 2012

Review: Shut Out by Kody Keplinger

Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
Page Count: 273 pages, Hardcover
Date Published: September 5th 2011
Find it on Goodreads: Shut Out
Source: Purchased

  Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention

Then Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. But what Lissa never sees coming is her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling...

 My thoughts: SO funny! Plus, it teaches some really great messages to teens, in just the way Kody Keplinger does!


I love Kody Keplinger. Her books deal with teen issues that many authors don't touch on too much. That being said, yes, they do have quite a bit to do with.. as Sheldon Cooper says, coitus. But mainly they touch on a teen's relationship with sex and the things they have to deal with. I've read all three of her books now, and I have loved each of them. Kody's style is very funny and very relatable. I did have some small issues with this book, but mostly, I loved it. 


The book starts off with Lissa and her boyfriend Randy making out in Randy's car, only to be interrupted by the soccer team throwing eggs at the car. Yeah. Poor girl! So then Randy runs off, chasing them and Lissa is left in the car, alone. After that, she's fed up and rounds up all the girlfriends of the football players and soccer players and proposes the idea of a hookup strike. By this point I was chuckling and thinking, "Oh yeah, this is gonna be good." And it was! It was charming and full of good contemporary content. There were some parts that were  very romantic, others that were heart-breaking and others that made me want to yell at Lissa, "WHY?!" and shake her to her senses. I loved Lissa's friends, and all the girls who participated in the strike. They were all great and the author did a great job of letting the reader get to know each of them.


Then, there's Cash. Cash Sterling. Yeah, that's his name. Sounds like a hero of a cheesy romance novel! But I loved Cash. He was sweet and caring and really clever. Plus, he likes books! But the thing that bothered me was throughout the book, there was a lot of talk about the girls being cock-teases, but then Cash was a huge flirt and there was no talk about how he was doing the same thing as the girls. Felt like a bit of a double standard... But I got over that. This is a great books for an easy, fun read for the summer! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Have a great day/night everyone!
~Kristy

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the play this is based upon? Lysistrata by Aristophanes? I first read this play in high school. Can't imagine this book being taught now without some parent objecting.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...