Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 18 April 2013

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton Books
Page Count: 338 pages, Paperback
Date Published: September 29th 2011
Find it on Goodreads: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Source: Purchased 



Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit-more sparkly, more fun, more wild-the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood.

When Cricket-a gifted inventor-steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.




Quirky and sweet, this book made me smile and laugh and had my heart fluttering all over the place.

I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss. The story, the characters, the writing style, everything. So I was really hesitant to read Lola and the Boy Next Door, as I'd heard amazing things about it, as well as read disappointed reviews. I didn't want to be part of the latter, so I took the chance and absolutely adored this novel! It was cute and fluffy, but because it's Stephanie Perkins, there is another part to the story that isn't so cute and fluffy and that made the book much more real.

I really liked Lola. She was totally unique and her head was so fun to be in, most times. But she was also complex in that she has a lot of issues with her birth mother and there were certain times where my heart was breaking for Lola. She was such a girl sometimes that I kind of got irritated, as I'm not a super girly-girl, but she also was so creative and imaginative that it was really interesting to be reading her story from her POV. Then there was Cricket. TOTALLY ADORABLE. He was super quirky and awkward but also trรจcool. Haha I loved that he had a sense of style and that he was an inventor! He was a breath of fresh air in the world of YA, filled with leather-clad bad boys and t-shirt wearing jocks. (Don't worry, I still love me some of those, as well ;D) Cricket is definitely a guy that I could see myself swooning over in real life!

I don't have a TON to say other than the fact that I really enjoyed Lola! It wasn't AS good as Anna for me,but still adorable with a different part to it other than just the romance. This one focused a lot on her family, with her two dads (who I loved! They were really great parental figures in a book, FINALLY!) There was family drama but there was also support and love from her family and I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. I liked Lola's dramatic spiels and her flashbacks, (ALTHOUGH, my Health and Career teacher snatched up my book while I was reading before class and proceeded to read ALOUD the part where 13(14?) year old Lola is swooning all over Cricket. THAT was kind of embarrassing.) and I loved that Etienne and Anna made a cameo in the book! They were actually a part of the book, not just passing through, so I thought that was totally awesome!

I'm so glad I finally read this! If you've read Anna or Lola, let me know what you think of them! Are you excited for Isla and the Happily Ever After? I AM! OR if you haven't read these books yet, do you want to? 

Happy reading!
~Kristy

2 comments:

  1. Great Review Kristy! I have heard only fabulous things about Stephanie Perkins novels and I'm really hoping to pick up one of hers soon. I love the idea of 2 great quirky and fun characters and this sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola's family is one of my favorites in the YA genre. Not enough books have such a close family bond and connection with parents as involved. I like that. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...