Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 25 April 2013

Guest Review: Go Ask Alice by Anonymous


Hey guys! If you remember, last year my friend Turner reviewed one of his favourite books on here and today I'm featuring him again for another favourite of his! If you're interested in writing a guest post or review, let me know!

Author: Anonymous
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Count: 213 pages, Paperback
Date Published: December 27th 2005 (First Published 1971)
Find it on Goodreads: Go Ask Alice


January 24th 

After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs....
It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth -- and ultimately her life.
Read her diary. 
Enter her world.
You will never forget her.
For thirty-five years, the acclaimed, bestselling first-person account of a teenage girl's harrowing decent into the nightmarish world of drugs has left an indelible mark on generations of teen readers. As powerful -- and as timely -- today as ever, Go Ask Alice remains the definitive book on the horrors of addiction



A Guest Review of Go Ask Alice by Turner!

Author: Anonymous (Beatrice Sparks)
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Page Count: 214
Date Published: March 5th, 1971

January 24th:
After you’ve had it, there isn’t even life without drugs…

Go Ask Alice
The harrowing true story of a teenager’s descent into the seductive world of drugs. A diary so honest you may think you know Alice –or someone like her. Read her diary. Enter her world. You’ll never be able to forget Alice.

Hey guys, it’s me again! I’ve wanted to come back and write another review for Kristy, and I couldn’t help but do it on one of, in my mind at least, BEST BOOKS OF ALL TIME.

Go Ask Alice tells the story of a 1970’s teenaged girl, dealing with her parents, sexuality, school, and drugs. Whether or not it ever was a proper journal has yet to be seen, as the author, Beatrice Sparks, has said she did in fact add sections for drama in some of her other “journal” books, such as Jay’s Journal. Despite the confusion, it’s survived the test of time, after being published 42 years ago, and has been read by millions.

I was very happy with how this novel was written, from the perspective of Carla. THAT’S ANOTHER POINT. Despite the book being titled Go Ask Alice, the “Alice” character is only mentioned briefly, after the narrator just picks up her bags and leaves home, and ends up in Coos Bay, Oregon. One sentence in the diary may, or may not, state the diarist’s name; “Daddy can’t come, he’s humping Carla”. This was after the mother of “Carla’s” boyfriend’s son asked her child to get his father for supper. All I can say is this encounter did not end well for “Carla” (I use the quotations because her name has never been confirmed).

In the end, I’d give this at least 4 out of 5 stars, because the journal has thought me why I shouldn’t even try illegal drugs. LISTEN UP KIDS, DRUGS ARE BAD. Thanks for your time J

Keep on reading,

Turner

1 comment:

  1. I read this one in high school and remember really liking it. The copy was passed on between my friends even. I'm curious as to what I'd think now, all these years later. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...