Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words That Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.This week's topic  is : Top Ten Words That Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book.

1. "The Next _______ (insert big-name title here [Twilight, Hunger Games]) -  I want something original, not something I've read before.

2. Erotica - No, I'm not a prude, but I am 16 and I'm not exactly sure my mum would be all that pleased with me picking up a copy of 50 Shades of Grey... So I just stay away from that section of the book store. 

3. Heavy Religious Ideology- I'm not a religious person whatsoever... I'm agnostic, so I'm not a fan of reading books that preach to me what I should and should not believe in.

4. Written in Verse - I'm a huge fan of poetry. I actually love writing poems and reading them, but something about a whole YA story written in verse scares me a lot. I've only tried it once, but maybe it's time to give it another go?

5. Zombies - I just haven't been able to get into a zombie book yet and they've kind of become a genre that I stay away from.

6. Abusive Relationship - When I say this, I mean a romantic relationship where the victim stays and makes excuses for her abuser and doesn't do anything about it. I just can't read something like that. 

7.  Sexism - Unless it's a book about dealing with sexism (against female or males), I don't want to read a whole book about how a person is being treated badly for their sex and nothing is done or said about it.

8. Homophobia -  Same with the above. If I get the feeling that a book is going to be stating a lot of homophobic slurs without any of the characters standing up and saying something about it, I don't really want to read it. 



I'm not sure what else to add, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sorry this is so late, I've been kind of off lately and not really into blogging this past while. Leave a link to your TTT this week and I'll check it out. 

Happy reading!
~Kristy

2 comments:

  1. Zombies and homophobia made it to my list too.

    I agree with the next big blank comparisons. I read a book once that promised to be like The DaVinci Code and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo mixed together.... Funny seeing as both of those were books I loved and this book got a one star review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of your list, Erotica still isn't my thing at 26 ha.
    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...