Tuesday, 2 July 2013
Top Ten Tuesday: Intimidating Books
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.This week's topic is : Top Ten Most Intimidating Books! This could mean intimidating by size, content, hype, whatever! But basically, these are the books that make my eyes go wide and my hands shake a little when I think about reading them...
1. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin-- I borrowed this from a friend back in February and have yet to pick it up... It's big, it's adored and supposedly it has too many characters to keep a hold of. Ahhhhhh
2. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling -- I've had this since it came out and I'm so nervous to pick it up. It's quite large and it is written by the woman who wrote the series that made me who I am. What if I don't like it?
3. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare -- OK here's the thing. I have yet to read Clockwork Angel in full. I read 1/4 of it last year and put it down. I'm not a fan of City of Bones and yet I'm wanting to read The Infernal Devices Trilogy, because of Clockwork Princess. EVERYONE LOVES IT and I'm all "whaaat? I don't understand!" because I haven't read the series and I didn't really want to until now and it's making me frustrated because this book is so "ahahaha I'm loved by everyone" and I'm just like *flails around aimlessly*... You see what I'm saying?
4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer -- Guys, everyone seems to adore this series and I have yet to read it, because of all the hype surrounding it. It's one of the books that I resolved to read this year and I WILL. I promise....ish.
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness -- Ever since this book came out, I've wanted to read it. But I have hyped it up so much in my mind that now I'm just kind of like "crap, what if I hate it?"
6. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien -- I know, I know... I have yet to read this series in full and I'm just... ahhhh. They are large books and they aren't exactly the lightest reads in the world and I just need to find a time to settle down and READ.
7. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien -- Same as above, really. Ever since the movie came out last year, it's been "Hobbit this, Hobbit that." I can't escape it! But the book haunts me in my sleep... it knows I want to read it, but I just can't make myself pick it up at the store and purchase it. It's like something is holding me back and you know what it is? HYPE.
8. 1984 by George Orwell-- This is a book that was actually hyped up to me by my English teacher last year. He made it sound like an amazing book and I'm sure it is! I've been dying to read it forever, but I just can't seem to pick it up.
9. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde -- I'm a huge fan of Wilde's poems but have yet to read a novel of his and am greatly intimidated by that fact. I've heard incredible things about this one and am nervous to pick it up.
10. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson -- This is a book that is constantly praised in the YA world for being different and raw and real. I have yet to read it and am nervous to, because of all the hype!
So, I guess with this list, we can draw the conclusion that I don't like hype. I went in to Eleanor & Park not knowing a single thing about it and it became a new favourite of mine. I get so overwhelmed by the hype that some books get and I become nervous that I won't like it and then I'll be reprimanded for it. There are so many books out there and these are ten that make me so nervous when I think about reading them. Yes, it's a little irrational, but it's the truth.
Leave me a link to your top ten this week! I'd love to see which books intimidate you and maybe I can encourage you to read a few that I've enjoyed! If you have read any of my above choices, let me know what you thought!