Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Thursday 21 June 2012

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Author: Kiersten White
Published: HarperTeen
Page Count: 368 pages, Paperback
Date Published: July 26th 2011 (first published August 31st 2010)
Find it on Goodreads: Paranormalcy
 
Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


My Thoughts: Although the protagonist was a bit annoying, I enjoyed the huge paranormal aspects to it (hence the title).

Paranormalcy is a great book for any fans of paranormal romances.Well, obviously it would be considering what it's about. I've never been a huge fan of books that involve a ton of different paranormal creatures. I like them enough, but I rarely find one that I can throughly enjoy. But I really liked Paranormalcy! It was really well written and there was lots going on. A perfect book to get caught up on during a boring day. From vampires to faeries, from hags to werewolves, this book has it all. Whichever paranormal creature you prefer, Paranormalcy will have at least a snippet of it. Considering how many 'main stream' creatures there are in the YA genre, it was nice to be re-acquainted with some of the paranormals that I remember from my childhood. 

The only thing I didn't really like about the book was Evie, the main protagonist. I found her to be quite annoying and a tad childish, though that is understandable considering how she was brought up. I didn't relate to her that well on any level, honestly. I found her obsession with her TV show a bit overbearing, as well as the fact that everything had to be pink and sparkly! I found her voice to be irritating, as well as her 'flirting' with Lend, cringe-worthy. Speaking of Lend, I liked him. I didn't love him, I didn't hate him. There was nothing overall special about him, save the fact that he's a one of a kind shape shifter. I'm realizing a trend more and more within the love interests in YA fiction, even more so in paranormal/fantasy/dystopia romances. They're all that sweet guy with the possible bad boy exterior. Totally swoon-worthy, but not exactly original. Though Lend didn't have that bad-ass, totally hot bad-boy front about him, he was still kind of a cliche. Underneath his ever changing face was that guy we see in YA a lot. So, yeah, I liked them enough, but all in all the main characters in this book didn't do much for me.

In the end, what made me like Paranormalcy as much as I did wasn't the characters, as it usually is, but the story. It was filled to the core with suspense and mystery and romance and all the best things a Paranormal Romance should have. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel, Supernaturally, and then the last book that comes out this summer, Endlessly.

Happy reading!
~Kristy

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am sad you didn't like Tasey. I thought that was hilarious! I agree that the best part is the slightly sarcastic take on the paranormal.

    And that ending? Sort of crazy-town. Still there is something about these books that I get a kick out of. I hope you like Supernaturally and Endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I didn't like Tasey in the end either, just the first couple of times and then I wanted to fry it :). On the whole it mostly made me chuckle. I thought Supernaturally was okay and will be picking up Endlessly too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...