Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Review: The Program by Suzanne Young

Author: Suzanne Young
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Count: 408 pages, Hardcover
Date Published: April 30th 2013
Find it on Goodreads: The Program
Source: Purchased


In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.
Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.
Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.
The Program was one of my most anticipated books of 2013 and it did not disappoint! I loved this book and wish everyone in the world could read it, but I know that this is one of those books that you're either going to love or just kind of... meh. But for me? LOVE!

I've been in a huge contemporary phase lately but I decided to pick this one up to change stuff up a little bit and I am so glad I did. The Program is a very interesting, very real dystopian. This book is set in a world where teen suicide is a huge epidemic. Therefore, there is The Program: A place you go when you're considered "at risk" and they literally fix your memories so that you won't be depressed/suicidal anymore. I loved this book so much but at the same time, it was so frustrating because the characters were helpless. They were put under the complete control of The Program and it was really sad. I really liked Sloane as a character. She was strong and well-written and I really connected with her a lot at some parts of the book. And then there was James. I adored him! He was strong and funny and caring and his relationship with Sloane made my heart melt into goo. I thought it was so great that the book started where they were already dating and comfortable together. We didn't go through awkward encounters or cheesy pick-up lines or anything like that, but we did get Sloane's flashbacks sometimes and those were great to read because it gave an amazing insight into their relationship. I liked the fact that they had already gone through the bases and their relationship is sweet and sexy, even while they're both depressed.

That's another thing. Even though the characters in this book were depressed, they weren't unlikeable.They were emotional when they knew it was safe to be and the fact that James was so protective of Sloane and how she showed her emotions was so sweet. This is an emotional romance! I teared up slightly and I was anxious to see how they'd find each other again after being ripped apart. It was so sad seeing Sloane forget more and more of her life before The Program and I just...


In the end we start to get a bit more action and a possible rebel group starting up. I'm excited to see where the sequel takes this story. It's exciting and emotional and a book that kept me craving more. I'd recommend this book to anyone who can take an emotional and somewhat dark book. ESPECIALLY if you love a great romance!

Happy reading!
~Kristy

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read YA dystopias in a while... I'm gonna try this one. Awesome review and the little owl is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This was on my radar for a while then the wait was unbearable and I forgot about it. Now I will be adding it to the top of my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gif is perfect for this one! I adored James too and their relationship was just done so well. I'm glad it didn't disappoint you! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you it didn't disappoint! I'll have to add this to my TBR. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...