Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Saturday 22 September 2012

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Author: John Green and David Levithan
Publisher: Speak
Page Count: 336 pages, Paperback
Date Published: April 5th 2011 (first published April 6th 2010)
Find it on Goodreads: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Source: Purchased.
Rating:  5/5

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.







My Thoughts: Two of my favorite authors in one book? AMAZING!!! 

This book is one of those books that can't help but make you laugh. It's so hilarious and fresh and had me read it in just over a day. I love both of these authors more than I can describe, so this book was just amazing. Their styles of writing are so similar, and yet different enough that it didn't make it seem repetitive, what with two different Will Graysons. John's Will was written in normal type, and David's in all lowercase letters. I found that really interesting and a nice insight to how their minds worked.

I LOVED David's Will Grayson. At first, not so much, but after his first chapter he had my heart breaking for him and I just wanted to give him a hug. His lowercase chapters were so moody and confused, but at the same time he was a delight to read about. I wanted to know more about him than we got from the book! At first I really liked John's Will, and then not so much, until I began to love him even more! He was charming and cute but at the same time has this outlook on life that broke my heart. His two (three?) rules that he lived by were so sad and yet they made sense. Sometimes you've just got to shut up and not care, sadly enough... I loved this Will's relationships with his friends and how confused he was about liking Jane. I can imagine myself being friends with him. And I also liked the relationship between the two Wills. They only interacted a bit, but when they did it was both so awkward and comfortable. The fact that meeting each other reminded them that just because they are named Will Grayson, doesn't mean their name defines them, and that there are tons of people with that name out in the world, too, was really cool in my opinion. It reminded me of that episode of The Suite Life of Zach and Cody where they think their parents switched them on accident and then start acting like each other. A name is not what defines who you are. It's what's inside that does. I think that is a really important lesson.

Ok so kind of getting off topic there! I also wanted to mention TINY! I loved him! He was just the perfect addition to this story! He's John's Will's best friend and then he meets David's Will and they have a thing together that really helps David's Will, figuring out who he is. Tiny's play was just fabulous, I would have loved to be able to see it live, instead of just read it! This entire book was so hilarious and heartwarming, as well as being so original. It broke my heart and then put it back together on one page, over and over again! I can't believe I waited so long to read it! *ducks my head in shame* But it is now up there in my favorites and I will be reading it again and again! 

Let me know what you thought of this book if you've read it! I'd love to know your opinions! 
Happy reading!
~Kristy
(P.S. I think I'm back! *yes!*)

1 comment:

  1. Haven`t read it, didn`t even know about this book, but it sounds amazing. Both writers are great!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...