Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: Harper Collins
Page Count: 403 pages, Hardcover
Date Published: January 17th 2012    
                                                   
Goodreads Description:
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.


My Rating: 3.5/5 stars. Meh... read on:

Hallowed is the sequel to Cynthia Hand's Unearthly. I adored the first book in the series, and as much I tried to wait until this book came out in paperback, I couldn't. Bur now I'm regretting spending the 20 bucks, because I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. Actually, compared to Unearthly, I'm really sad to say this, but Hallowed disappointed me a lot. 
I can't even really explain it. I came off such a high from reading the first book, going into this one I think I just had too high expectations. It's not that it's a bad book, it was just lacking something that made Unearthly so special. I felt like I could predict every single event that happened in the book, which made the read a little dull. I knew exactly who was going to die, (read description) even with Clara completely confused about it. It seemed like although there was a lot going on, it had a really slow pace. I couldn't get into the story very well.
There was also a bit of lacking in the romance in my opinion. Well, really it's because the book lacks Tucker and Clara romance! You can tell the author is steering us towards Christian, but to be perfectly honest... I LOVE TUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing could change that. Ever. You know what? I think I just figured out why this book disappointed me as a sequel... I don't want to be 'told' which guy I should be rooting for
What I did enjoy was the fact that we learn a lot about angels and more about Clara's dad, (that was the one thing I was soooo not expecting!) Angela is still one of my favorite characters and we find out more about her purpose in this book, so that's great. Over all, I can say this: If you can't seem to get into the book at the beginning, keep going. It does get better towards the end, but it is still pretty slow. It might just be me who thought this, or maybe there's a bunch of people who had the same thoughts about it. Who knows? I am looking forward to the next book in the Unearthly series, but I'm no longer dying for it. 

That's it guys! Let me know what you thought of Hallowed in the comments, were you disappointed or was it perfect for you? I'd love to know. :)

Have a good day/night,
Kristy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristy

    I have nominated you for an award on my blog.

    Please pop on over and check it out!

    Regards Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...