Featured Posts

1 2 3 4 5

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Page Count: 395 pages, Hardcover
Date Published: June 14th 2012
Find it on Goodreads: My Life Next Door
Source: Won
Rating:  5/5


A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

 

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.

My Thoughts: This was exactly the type of book I needed...

My Life Next Door was a beautiful book. It was about love, family, friendship, loyalty, and so many other things in a teenager's life.The book had so many vibrant, flawed, amazing characters that I fell in love with. This was a book that was hard to put down, because I was so immersed in the story!

The Garretts were a family that I couldn't not love. Their mother and father after so many years of marriage, plus their 7 children were still in love as ever. They were loud and messy and rambunctious, and such a fun family. Each of the siblings had their own personalities and tiny little story line that made reading this novel so much more real...I adored the little brother George... He was so adorable! Then, there was the Reed family. Their house was prim and proper and always maintained control. Their family was small and it was a bit strained. Sam's sister left for the summer and her mother was always on the go with her campaign. Thus leaving Sam to live her life next door...

Sam and Jase's relationship was one of the best book relationships I've read in a long, long time. It was not an instant "I'm in love with you," but there was absolutely an attraction. They were adorably sweet together and spoke about everything from the physical side of their relationship to college and to so many other things. They took it slow and they became close. It was a relationship that I've always dreamed of having.

Yet, the romance in this novel was not the only story line. There was so much going on in the story, but it wasn't overwhelming.We have Nan, Sam's best friend and Tim, Nan's brother. Tim was a pretty large aspect to this book! Tim had problems with substance abuse, committing to school/jobs, and he drove everyone crazy. But he eventually became a loyal, loyal friend to Jase and Sam and played a significant part. Then there was the 'impossible decision' that Sam had to make, and I will admit, during this part of the book, I was pretty emotional. I was so attached to all of the characters by the end of the novel, and it was hard to see them go through such tough times. But honestly, this book felt so real. There were good moments and bad moments. Tough decisions to be made and consequences that follow. Some things were kind of unresolved, but that leaves the mystery up to the reader, which I loved. I don't think I can say one bad thing about this book. It was one of my favourites I've read all year! I'd suggest this one to anyone, really! I even convinced my mom to read it!

Happy reading!
~Kristy


2 comments:

  1. I've heard really great things about this book and it's on my list of contemporaries to try in the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every single comment I get! I will try as hard as I can to remember to stop by your blog and return the favour! (I'm so sorry if I forget, I have an awful memory!)

As of now, A Little Shelf of Heaven is an award-free blog! I really appreciate them, so so much, but I just don't have the time to pass them along to other blogs!

Thanks for stopping by! <3

©A Little Shelf of Heaven
Design by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...